Because of some amazing technology you too can live a freedom based lifestyle where you can live and work anywhere in the world. There’s a new renaissance for entrepreneurs who want more freedom – financial freedom, freedom of time, freedom from staff, and freedom to fully experience life the way you want it.
When my wife Melanie and I were in Venice, Italy recently we were both so moved and inspired by the explosion of creativity that’s everywhere you look. There’s beauty exuding from every narrow street and cannel.
Venice is what the renaissance must have been like – a bursting free from the oppression and dread of the Dark Ages. It’s as if the people screamed, “No more! We want FREEDOM!”
I feel we’re living in a NEW renaissance today… especially for creative entrepreneurs. Just like the Renaissance starting in the 14th century, technology is helping free us from the limitations of the past.
I’m living proof! I can spend the entire summer traveling throughout Europe with Melanie AND still run a highly successful service-based business.
Here are three tools I use to make it happen easily…
1. Phone Technology
Melanie and I explore Europe in the day (Cappuccinos, bicycling, shopping, museums, concerts, and more), and in the evening I’m on the phone with my clients or leading my group program.
It’s an amazing life.
I use this technology to do it:
- Skype (http://www.skype.com). It’s FREE to set up an account. With Skype I’m able to talk and/or video chat online for free with anyone else who has a Skype account. If I call a regular non-Skype phone number anywhere in the world it’s pennies per minute.
- Ooma (http://www.ooma.com/). This is a small black box I plug into an Internet router and a home phone unit and voila… I have FREE phone calls in the U.S. I have a Premier account so I can do 3-way calls so my phone bill is always only $20 a month. The Ooma box itself was only $150. I also got their portable, digital handset phone for another $60. It’s worth it because my phone number travels with me! This allows a client or family member to call my regular U.S. phone number… and it rings here in Europe. There’s no additional cost to them at all. It’s brilliant. One of the many features I love is if I miss a call I instantly get an email with the callers voice message attached.
- Google Voice (https://www.google.com/voice). I don’t use this because I have the Ooma, but my friends tell me they love Google Voice. It also gives you a phone number that travels with you and has many of the same features as the Ooma.
2. Air BNB
This is one of the coolest things to come out since the Internet itself! My wife and I are able to stay in fully furnished apartments (and sometimes 10th century refurbished cloisters) throughout Europe for less than the cost of a hotel.
People put up their homes for short or long-term stays – anywhere from a couple nights to a couple months. The site allows you to see photos, read reviews, view availability, locate on a map, and more. Booking is a snap. I ALWAYS will choose Air BNB over a hotel any day because here I get a kitchen, free WIFI, laundry, dishwasher… you name it.
Try it – go to the site and choose a romantic destination you’ve always wanted to visit. Just look at the apartments available. If this doesn’t give you the freedom based lifestyle bug, then I don’t know what will!
3. Online Life Management
It’s easy to manage your whole life online now: shopping, banking, bill paying, travel reservations, scheduling, etc.
My assistant, Tina, lives in Pennsylvania and schedules all my clients. My CPA is in Los Angeles. My techie virtual assistant is in Washington State. My clients are all over the world. We’re all connected via the Internet and I can sit in a café in Amsterdam with a latte listening to Bach and manage it all.
I worried about this at first for a couple reasons:
- Could I really manage all of life’s little details sitting in my rental apartment in Amsterdam, Vienna, or Paris? Yes! It’s totally possible… and easy once you get used to it. I bring a small thumb drive in case I need to print anything at a local office shop. To send faxes I use UReach (https://www.ureach.com/).
- Is it safe to be online in a public space? Yes – I simply turn on extra protection on my laptop with a free program called Hotspot Shield (http://www.hotspotshield.com/). Note – it will make your connection slower, but you can work without worry.
You Can Live a Freedom Based Lifestyle, Too
I encourage you to check out these amazing technology tools that allow entrepreneurs like us to experience freedom and live anywhere. It’s all so new – even 5 years ago it would have been challenging to pull this off. But now it’s getting easier and easier.
Leave Your Comments About the Freedom Based Lifestyle Below
If you could spend three months anywhere in the world, where would it be? What would you do in an ideal day knowing the technology will support you and make it happen? Share your ideas and experience with the Roche Marketing community below…